Monday, February 13, 2006

Quote of the day

"His background was quite wayward away from football, he used to invite his mates over from Colombia and one day one of them was trying to sell me a ring. It was near my mum's birthday so I decided to buy one of them and managed to bargain down to £200, but I have to admit it was one of the tackiest things I'd ever seen. When my mum looked at it she admitted she didn't like it and took it to a jewellers to get it valued. And she was gobsmacked when the guy told her it was pure Colombian gold and it was worth £1,200! Looking back, I wish I'd took the lot off him because he had a great big bag".

One much-loved old boy, Bez, on another, the incomparable Tino Asprilla. The quote comes from this piece from the Evening Chronicle, in which the rubber-legged madman / genius is remembered with fondness a decade after he signed for Keegan's title-chasing Toon side.
Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home