Sunday, May 10, 2009

The professionals

"Professional" and "Newcastle Utd" aren't words you usually hear uttered in the same sentence (unless there's a negative in there somewhere), but they were in Wor Al's recent comments to the press:

"I'm just asking players to be on time for work and I don't think that's too much of a problem, particularly when it's 10 o'clock in the morning! I'm not asking anyone to do anything ridiculous. I'm just asking for common sense, to be in on time for training, to adhere to the standards that Bobby Robson or Kenny Dalglish asked of me. We're a professional football club, you have to be professional and that's all I'm asking. It's important for players to come in and feel relaxed, to enjoy training and have a smile on their face but it's also very important to be disciplined and professional in what you do. After all, it's a professional sport and we're all getting very well paid for it.".

Well, quite. The fact that some of our rabble have been finding getting into work for 10am a struggle is what's ridiculous.

By contrast, Little Saint Mick was apparently the very model of professionalism following his demotion to the bench for last Sunday's game: "I felt it was right for that particular game and I went through my reasons and I have to say his reaction has been as you'd expect it would be with the places he's been to and players he's played with - very, very professional. Michael could be involved on Monday. He was disappointed and I wouldn't want it any other way but he took it in the right way." I wonder, though, whether Shearer's regretting saying he was an automatic first choice on coming into the job - or whether Little Saint Mick gently reminded him of that when told the news?

Shearer also revealed he spoke to ASBO "on Monday very briefly" - a quick exchange of four-letter pleasantries, no doubt...
Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home