Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What's wrong with "modern football"? The word "modern"

My latest contribution to The Two Unfortunates - a review of Tony Collins' Sport In Capitalist Society, incorporating reflections on the "Against Modern Football" movement - appears to have ruffled a few feathers. The book is a fascinating read, offering an invaluable historical perspective on sport in general, though with plenty of reference to the so-called beautiful game. I'll admit to, on occasion, having repeated uncritically what Collins reveals to be myths about football past and present (even if I've never proclaimed myself to be "Against Modern Football") - someone please stop me if in the future I ever start a sentence with "The problem with the modern game..." or whinge that Jabba is "symptomatic of everything that's wrong with twenty-first-century football".

Labels: ,

Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home